Some Natural, Cultural & Historical Places Worth seeing
Mount Erciyes is an extinct volcano (3,916 m.) and it is the highest mountain in centrall Anatolia. Mount Erciyes, the top of which is often covered with snow year-round, is both a world class center for winter sports and a cool resort in summer. In the huge area of Mount Erciyes you can find various hotels to stay, restaurants to eat typical foods from the kitchen of Kayseri and a large surface to do almost all skiing.[25 km away from the city centre]
Besides the Mount Erciyes, that welcomes all ski-freaks, is the Mount Ali that is also a quality for the city. Paragliding sports made at this mountain is an important sport activity of the city.
Kayseri, in the center of the Cappadocia region which is both a natural and historical region largely in Nevşehir, Kayseri, Aksaray and Niğde, is 80 kilometers from Göreme and the UNESCO Open Air Museum,and 70 kilometers from the Soğanlı Valley, a picturesque valley of innumerable chapels, church halls, houses, and tombs. Peri Bacaları, the famous rock cones of Göreme, which predominantly occured by the volcanic eruption of Erciyes, are arranged in Cappadocia.
Kanish and Karum
Kayseri was home to one of the oldest trade fairs in the world and seems to have always been a trade center. The Kanish and Karum ruins, trade centers between the Assyrians and Hittites,are located 22 kilometers to the east of Kayseri.
Gevher Nesibe Medical History Museum
Gevher Nesibe was a princess of the Anadolu Selçuklu Devleti (Sultanate of Rum) at early 13th century, the daughter of Kilij Arslan II and sister of Kaykhusraw I. Today, Gevher Nesibe is also the namesake of a magnificent complex at Kayseri comprising the former hospital, an adjoining medrese devoted primarily to medical studies, and a mosque in Kayseri, Turkey. The complex (külliye in Turkish) that she endowed, is considered one of the preeminent monuments of Seljuk architecture.
The Sultan Reeds
Sultan Sazlığı (the Sultan Reeds) is a natural wonder place for migrating birds. Over 250 different species of birds migrate through the Sultan Sazlığı each year. These various birds could be observed by the visiters and this makes it a popular place for bird photographers.
Yamula Dam is also located in the provincial city Kayseri near to the river Kızılırmak. There are lots of possibilities to do, such as having a nice picnic, to go fishing or just enjoying the great and natural atmosphere over there.[25 km away from the city centre]
Kapuzbaşı Waterfalls are located in the district of Yahyalı. It has the special feature to be the second highest waterfall of the world. Kapuzbaşı Waterfalls are one of the best stops in the trekking area in Alacadağlar. Upstream and downstream from the waterfalls are small villages, where you can find peculiar family-run restaurants with fresh, grilled fish and local vegetables on the menu. Furthermore camping is one of the best ideas you can fulfil in the area of Kapuzbaşı Waterfalls.[144 km away from the city centre]
The Zamantı River is one of the longest and most important tributary located in the district of Kayseri, called Pınarbaşı. It is also a favourite place for people who want to do rafting.[89 km away from the city centre]
Mazakaland, an amusement park for the whole family and young people is a great place to have endless fun. You can find roller coaster and a lot of other funny things. There is also an ice rink a zoo to visit.[7 km away from the city centre]
- Kayseri is a major transport nexus for the region and the public transportation system in Kayseri is quite modern. Transportation in Kayseri is quite active and easy. Kayseri is the active traffic line of our country and the Central Anatolia Region; for this reason, you can arrive in Kayseri quickly by highway, airway or railway.
- You can arrive by highway. It is easy to provide transportation by intercity terminal. Upon your arrival to the terminal, if the transportation company you have preferred has local minibus opportunities (that is; a lot of companies have this opportunity), it is easy for you to go to city center, university, dormitories and places of destinations by these minibuses.
- It is also comfortable to arrive in Kayseri by airlines. When you arrive at Erkilet Airport, you can get on public buses when you come out of the airport. Thanks to these opportunities, you can reach city center easily.
- If you arrive in Kayseri by railway, the station is very close to the State Hospital. You can go to the city center on foot for nearly 20 minutes or by using the bus station which serves actively next to the railway station.
- Since 2009 Kayseray which is a light rail transit system is also working for in-city transportation.
- Please see “Directions and Maps” (https://www.erciyes.edu.tr/en/c/1056-1/transportation-and-maps) for more information about all campuses transportation and maps.